The Laboratory building is nearly completed.
With the aid of funding granted under the Innovative Economy Operational Programme 2007-2013, Restauro has been creating a state-of-the-art facility, which will enable the company to carry out a complete professional conservation process – from diagnostics to comprehensive treatment, to documentation. Optoelectronic techniques and tools will be employed at each step. Their selection is intended to result in high-quality conservation services, including advanced documentation methods. Research will be oriented towards finding solutions for problems encountered during conservation works. Therefore the idea behind the Lab is to closely tie research to conservation practice.
The Laboratory is being constructed in the heart of Toruń, its Old Town. The building, property of Restauro, is part of the town's historic fortifications, namely of "Bastion 1" constructed in 1888-1890. Consisting of two structures, the Bastion was used as a "Sapper's Repository" or a storage place for pontoons (southern building) and bridge barges (northern building).
The northern building is being restored and redeveloped to locate a range of facilities, including workshops and laboratory rooms, where various conservation works will be carried out.
The Lab is scheduled to be opened and put into operation in the 2nd quarter of 2015.